Monday, September 29, 2014

Home is...where?

This weekend, I got to see a lot of my favorite people while visiting one of my favorite places. This weekend I got to go back to Purdue for Homecoming. I graduated from Purdue University in 2012 and didn't make it to homecoming in 2013, so this was a first for me! It was also only the second time I've ever participated in Breakfast Club. So it was a wonderful, but short, weekend. 

While driving back from Purdue, on Saturday night because I had work Sunday, I started reflecting back on my time spent at Purdue and how my life has changed since graduation. We've all heard the adage "home is where the heart is" and there are even variations like "home is wherever I'm with you" etc. Sometimes I feel like I don't know where my home is anymore. 

Sure, pre-Purdue home was with my mom. We moved around a little bit in high-school, but that one is still a no-brainer. I was still a child and therefore, home was with my parents. At this point my dad hadn't moved to Ohio yet, so home was localized in central Indiana. 

Once I left for Purdue, it became home. Going "home" on weekends was okay, but I only spent one summer away from Purdue during my 4 year tenure. West Lafayette is a beautiful place, full of tradition and people that love being there. At Purdue I met my band family and formed some of the closest friendships I have to date. In all honestly, I keep in constant communication with ONE person from high-school. All of my other friends are from Purdue or I've met them recently in Cincinnati. 

Trip to Kings Island!

Sadly, we have all graduated, with one exception and he graduates in December. We've started moving around the country and now extra effort is required to get everyone together. Between the members of this group we reside in: South Bend, West Lafayette, Indianapolis and Jeffersonville IN, Dayton and Cincinnati OH, and in the Twin Cities of  MN. That's not all, but you get the picture, we're spread out! 

Now that I've moved to the Cincinnati area, this should be home. I mean, I live here, so technically it is. Yet, I'm constantly traveling away from the area to see the people I care about. Honestly, I feel like I'm in a transition phase. Sure, I'm here for the next 3 years while I work through culinary school, but as far as I can see nothing is keeping me here after that. Cincinnati doesn't yet feel like home, and I'm not sure it will. I know that it would be nearly impossible for all of my friends to coordinate our professional lives so we could live in the same area, but I can tell you we would try pretty hard! 
For now I guess home is Cincinnati, but I'll always feel more at home when I'm around these people.
Waiting in line to get into the Cactus!

With my bestie in front of the Engineering Fountain!



Until next time,
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment