Thursday, September 12, 2013

Clean Eating Italian Baked Ziti

Pasta is a great food for feeding a crowd, or in my case, feeding to college aged guys for more than one meal. Personally I don't make pasta all that often because it tends to pack the calories for a small portion size. I'm one of those people that would rather eat four or five small servings, low calorie foods than one serving of a high calorie food. But that's just me. All that being said, when I do eat pasta, I like it with sauce! We could get into the whole deal of my roommate that would happily just eat plain noodles, but ain't nobody got time for that!

Unfortunately, sauces also tend to pack in the calories due largely to fats(cream sauces), sugars and sodium. That's what makes this "clean eating" recipe awesome! You get to sweeten and flavor the sauce yourself so you control just how much of those culinary villains go in your dish in the first place! Don't be scared by the label "clean eating" and think that the recipe will be to challenging or require obscure ingredients. This recipe was quite the opposite on both accounts! I hope you enjoy it!

 What you'll need:

  • 1 box whole wheat penne pasta
  • 1 pound lean, ground turkey 
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp each garlic and onion powder
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 15 oz canned tomato sauce
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese - I grated mine myself!

What you'll do:

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, cook the turkey in the olive oil.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Add the cooked pasta & meat to the sauce and mix well.
5. Transfer mixture to a baking dish and top with cheese.
6. Bake at 350F until the cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes. 




Pre-oven shot!


Post-oven shot!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment