Friday, September 20, 2013

Tis the Season...FOR PUMPKIN!


Well friends, it's here: Pumpkin-flavored everything season. I'm not going to lie, I actually get a little annoyed when the pumpkin posts start to take over my Pinterest feed because pumpkin is available ALL YEAR LONG. Yep, I'm not kidding, you can find it in the baking goods isle at any grocery store. I use a can of pumpkin in my chili and I make chili year round, so believe me. 

Regardless, I am a sucker for pumpkin. It's so gosh darn tasty and real pumpkin is a great source of potassium! I say real pumpkin because today's recipe, Pumpkin Nutella Puppy Chow, doesn't use real pumpkin puree but pumpkin flavored Hershey's Kisses. Which I just learned were a thing this fall. Apparently there are also some kind of caramel apple kisses, but I have yet to see these. 

I'm sure we all know how addicting puppy chow is, and this recipe is no different. I found it really, really hard to stay away from the bowl but thankfully so did everyone else! It was perfect for the tailgate I took it to and everyone seemed to love it! 

What you'll need:

  • 8 cups Chex-like cereal - Fiber One actually works well!
  • 1 cup Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice - I'm pretty sure I used more, I just kinda dumped it in.
  • large brown paper bag 

What you'll do:

  1. Unwrap your kisses and add them to a small sauce pot. As you melt them on low add the Nutella. Stir frequently until the mixture is combined.



2. Put your cereal in the paper bag and pour the Nutella mixture on top. Fold the bag shut and shake it to combine.

3. Open the bag, add the powdered sugar, close the bag and shake once more. Make sure you get a little crazy as to ensure total sugar coverage.

4. Open the bag, add the pumpkin pie spice, close the bag and shake one more time.

5. Spread the chow on some wax paper and allow it to harden. Try to resist the urge to eat it all right then.


So there you have it my friends, my first pumpkin post of the season! You better believe there will be more! Hopefully they'll be healthier than this, but no promises!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment