Saturday, June 29, 2013

Practically Paleo Lasagna

Let's get one thing straight right away, shall we? No, I am not "Paleo" and I see no way I ever could be. It just sounds so hard. Don't get me wrong, they eat lots of good stuff and avoid lots of bad stuff, but no.

Now, that being said, I'll never be opposed to trying a recipe just because it's labeled as paleo. Actually, this isn't the first time I've done that. When I went camping about a month ago I made these Blackberry Glazed Porkchops for everyone. It is a very simple but incredibly delicious paleo recipe.

Let us move on to the recipe at hand shall we? You may be asking yourself "Self, how is it possible for a recipe to be 'practically' paleo?". To which I must admit, it's not. A recipe is either paleo or it isn't. I chose to call this recipe "Practically Paleo" because my inspiration was an actual paleo recipe. I, however, do not believe one can have lasagna and not have cheese. Just my personal opinion.

It should be noted that I made this recipe to feed one. This would make a wonderful dish for a larger crowd though and I will include instructions for both.

What you'll need:

1 Eggplant (2-3 if doubling), thinly sliced
8 ounces (16 if doubling) ground turkey breast - cooked
A jar of your preferred tomato sauce - for paleo, go with organic tomato sauce
A package of shredded mozzarella cheese - omit if paleo 

What you do:

  1. Set the oven to 450F. Place eggplant slices on baking sheets and roast for 4 minutes on each side. 
  2. Using a 9x9 baking dish (or 9x13 if doubling) add a layer of sauce. I did 1/2 cup because that is one serving of sauce.
  3. Place a layer of eggplant slices over the sauce.
  4. Cover the eggplant layer with a layer of turkey and cheese. I used half the turkey and 1/2 cup of cheese.
  5. Repeat the layering process until your are out of turkey. Make a final layer of just sauce and cheese.
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving. 

Start with the sauce.



Layer in your eggplant.

Now add the meat and cheese.

Repeat until you're happy.

Enjoy!

So, are you going to try it?

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment